LSMW Tutorial – What is LSMW and its features ?
The Legacy System Migration Workbench (LSMW) is a tool that supports data migration from non-SAP systems to the SAP R/3 System. It is a component of the R/3 System and, therefore, is independent of the platform.
The Transaction Code is LSMW.
LSMW supports the following modes of data transfer to SAP.
- Standard Batch Input Program
- Standard Direct Input Program
- Batch Input Recording
- Business Object Method (BAPI)
- IDOC (Intermediate Document)
To unleash the full potential of the SAP solution and to drastically reduce the substantial need for individual programming to convert data, SAP offers the Legacy System Migration (LSM) Workbench.
The LSM Workbench is a SAP tool that facilitates the process of data transfer from non-SAP system (also called Legacy system) without additional programming to do data conversion.
At the push of a button, you can define the rules for the conversion. The LSM Workbench then generates an ABAP program and thus supports an important step in the process of data transfer. It is a cross-application component (CA) of the SAP R/3 System and, therefore, is independent from the platform.
The tool has interfaces with the Data Transfer Centre and with batch input and direct input processing in R/3. The tool can be used in each of the different R/3 releases.
Instead of individual tables or field contents, the tool transfers complete business data objects (also called object class) such as Material Master, Supplier Master data.
A migration object class is a unit combined from the business point of view, which can be used to transfer the data of all the legacy systems defined in the LSMW to the R/3 System.
The migration object class comprises the R/3 structures as well as the program used for data import. The batch and direct input technique is used to ensure consistency of data.
For each migration object, a batch or direct input program has to be available in the SAP R/3 System.
The LSMW comprises the following main functions:
- Definition of the legacy system structures and fields
- Definition of object dependencies and assignment of conversion rules
The structure and field relationships between the legacy system and the R/3 System are defined in data mapping. The way how data is being processed during migration is determined by the conversion rules.
- Data conversion
From the object dependencies, the LSMW generates conversion programs that translate the legacy system data.
- Data import
Batch or direct input is used to import the data to the SAP R/3 System.
The following additional functions are available:
- Spreadsheet interface - Legacy system data in spreadsheet format can be processed.
- Host interface - Legacy system data in a structured data format (that is, with record identifiers and correct sequence) can be processed.
- Batch input recorder - The LSMW allows you to use the batch input recorder (shipped with the SAP R/3 standard system) in order to create user-specific classes of migration objects.
- Automatic check functions - This function generates and performs value checks against check tables and fixed values specified in the Data Dictionary.